Skip navigation.

1 2 1

Taiwan/US: John/Jane/Sharon/Yaning

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

(Continued) Jane's Story

Several months ago, a friend of mine in L.A., who is a Falun Dafa practitioner, was invited by a local TV station to talk about Falun Gong related issues. The host asked him how many Falun Dafa practitioners are there in Southern California. She was quite surprised to hear my friend answered he doesn't know since Falun Gong has no registration or roster.

That's right. Falun Gong has no fee, no membership, and no registration. It started like that in China before the persecution, and it's the same way now in more than 60 countries in the world (including China). So whether one is a Falun Dafa practitioner or not, no one would give you that title and there is no any form of ceremony. As long as you think you are a practitioner, you can call yourself one.

I did not consider myself as a real Falun Dafa practitioner until fall of 2003.

Two years after my previous visit to Beijing when my friend introduced Falun Gong to me, I went there again in the summer of 1996. My sister, who by then had been practicing Falun Gong for two years, had a new book waiting for me. It was "Zhuan Falun", the main text of Falun Dafa. I remember I read it overnight and simply loved it. When I really like something, I have this habit of repeating the experience, such as reading a good book or watching a good movie. So I brought the book with me when I returned to the U.S., and I read it many more times during the next few years. It's just like my friend Wenny told me, you discover new meaning when you read the book again. "It's a book from Heaven," she told me. I did not really understand what she meant at that time. But I knew it is THE best book I have ever read.

Every time when I visited Beijing, Wenny was one of my must-see friends. The last time I saw her in person was 2000. During my two week vacation in Beijing in the summer of 2002, I could not get hold of her. Later on an old classmate of us told me she heard that Wenny had "disappeared" due to her Falun Gong practice. Up to that point, I was not fully aware of the severity of the persecution on Falun Gong in China. Needless to say, I started to pay attention to the issue after I returned to the U.S.. I started to read reports about the persecution on internet. (I will talk more about Wenny's story later.)

I also read the lecture notes from the Falun Dafa official site. It was not an one-day decision, and it took me a few more months to decide now it's the time for me. It did not happen very dramatically. Just one day in October 2003, I called a practice site which is located in my university and made an appointment on learning Falun Gong exercises. A Ph.D. student who was studying at the same university taught me all five sets of exercises at the following Saturday group practice. I consider that from that time, I "officially" became a Falun Dafa practitioner.

I was still the same person, yet I was changed - I know the true meaning of my life.

posted by Jane @ 12:22 PM   

5 Comments:

At April 15, 2007 at 2:02 PM, Blogger ArkAngel said...

Thanks for your story so far - very interesting. What I can't figure out from the posts to date - who wrote the Zhuan Falun and when?

 
At April 16, 2007 at 10:17 AM, Blogger Jane said...

Hi arkangel, thank you for your visiting. To answer your question: Falun Gong (aka Falun Dafa) was introduced to public in 1992 by Teacher Li Hongzhi. During the next couple of years, Teacher Li was traveling around the country and giving public lectures teaching Falun Gong (it was a typical way for many other qigong masters in China to teach their qigong practices). The book "Zhuan Falun" was published in 1995. It has nine chapters based on Teacher Li's usual nine-day public lectures. Many people who had no chance to have attended Teacher Li's lectures learned the principle of Falun Gong from the book or recording of the lectures.

The word "qigong" was not publicly known until probably in the 80s. In the past, qigong practices/cultivation were mostly taught secretly with very selected students.

 
At April 18, 2007 at 7:00 AM, Blogger ArkAngel said...

Thanks, Jane, for that clarification. How long before the 80s had Qigong been around? And why had it had to be secret?

 
At April 19, 2007 at 10:54 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Hi arkangel, I'm going for a short trip. I will try to answer your questions when I'm back. Seeya.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 1:49 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Hi arkangel, qigong has been around for a long time, a few thousands of years at least. In history it's called cultivation. The term "qigong" is relatively news, probably started in 70s - 80s. High level martial arts is a type of qigong too. Real cultivation is not that simple... in fact, even when qigong became very popular in China in 80s-90s, most qigong masters did not teach high level qigong in public. They only taught certain qigong methods for improving health. And this is one of the key elements which makes Falun Gong different from other types of popular qigong - Falun Gong master does teach you qigong from a very high level. If you ask why most qigong masters do not teach high level qigong, or when and where qigong was origined, or you are interested more in qigong concept, I would recommend you read the book "Zhuan Falun" since the book talks about qigong and can answer all your questions. Key contents of the book include discussion of: the origins of qigong and the long-forgotten meaning of cultivation; the roots of illness, and their fundamental removal; karma: its origin, effects, and transformation into virtue; Falun Gong's relation to qigong, Buddhism, Taoism, and other cultivation methods; the meaning and function of supernormal abilities; the question of eating meat and the issue of attachments; genuine, integrated cultivation of mind and body; what is Enlightenment, and what is Consummation? You can read the online book at http://falundafa.org .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

AddThis Feed Button

I Power Blogger